Lately I’ve gotten into this mood of, less is more.
Less clutter = more beautiful space or less space = less stuff.
Either way you look at it… the more “stuff” you have everywhere, the more for you to dust, or pay more for someone to dust or in my case, to pack when we move.
I have moved 6 times in my life. Each time has gotten significantly harder because of allllll the stuff I’ve accumulated or that Paul & I have now accumulated together.
I got into this mood because, now that we are preparing to move into a home… I REFUSE to have to sift through all of it when it comes time for unpacking.
So, I’ve started early with my “why do we….” & the look is growing on me.
- Why do we keep 25 photos up all year round that are from 4 years ago & we look nothing like the photos?
Step 1: Remove the frames, place in bubble wrapped box.
- Why do we have 83475349875 pillows? Okay, okay… that one is my fault. I love pillows but forget that I can just buy the cover & not the EXACT same pillow over & over.
Step 2: Remove the unnecessary pillows, place in storage tubs.
- Why do we have drinking glasses/ Tupperware that doesn’t have a pair or missing a lid, etc.?
Step 3: Welcome to the trash. Actually.. I place them in a box in our hallway with a “Free” sign. One man’s toxic sludge is another man’s potpourri. haha… & whatever doesn’t get picked up gets tossed!
- Why do we keep old lotions, facial creams, masks, bath salts, etc.?
Step 4: Again, welcome to the trash.
- Why do we keep clothes that we will NEVER wear, NEVER fit into, & push to the back of our closet every time we see them? In possible hopes that MAYBE one day… it will see the light of day.
Step 5: Trash Bag City. I pile all my old clothes, shoes, belts, jackets, you name it – if it doesn’t have value now it wont later. I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this in a previous post, but if I haven’t worn something within a year or so… off it goes! After I’ve compiled everything into trash bags, I give younger girls I know the first chance to sift through it all.. if they don’t want any of it.. I donate it.
- Why do we have old college books? None of that will be relevant by the time our kids go to college. They will be reading off of some magnetic wave in the sky & books will be obsolete.
Step 6: Again, donate it. Local libraries or even colleges will sometimes take books.
- Why do we have 248798374 bags? So I blame my Father & Sister for this one. We are obsessed with bags. Not just designer, but all bags. Well, except for trash bags & grocery type bags. — We love it when a bag has a bag for the bag. Say that 5 times fast! We seriously keep all bags. Paul unfortunately has found my stash & thinks I’m a hoarder. Which… sometimes I agree with, but not always.
Step 7: Take your biggest bag, the start stuffing the smaller ones inside of it. One by One. This doesn’t get rid of the problem but at least you don’t have to get rid of them. 😉
Y’all these are just a few of the MANY things I’m sure I will figure out as a go. Storage bins & trash bags have become my best friend on the weekends.
Plus, storage bins (with the lock) help with moving.. they’re a lot more sturdier than boxes. Jussttt saying.
Now get to it! Enjoy loves!